Vol. 10 No. 3
Upper Room Discourse: John 16:1-3
The Importance of Preparedness –
John 16:1-2, “These things (previous Doctrine of Chapters 13-15), I have spoken (taught) to you all in order that you all do not fall way, (into reversionism). They will make you outcasts from the local assemblies, but an hour is coming that anyone who puts you to death will think he is offering service to God.”
Here our Lord continues to warn the disciples of specific forms of persecutions. He does this so that the disciples of Christ would not be shocked when these things would occur and thereby lose faith and hope. Thereby becoming discouraged to the point of rejecting their own faith leading to reversionism and apostasy. He does not want them to stumble due to the antagonisms of Satan and His Cosmic System.
The fact that Jesus is warning His disciples
indicates to us that it is a real possibility for a disciple of Christ, (a true
believer, born again Christian), to fall into reversionism. How can this be? At
the same time we are told that those who are the antagonists towards true
Christians believe that their persecutions are for the worship and service of
God. How can this be? Interestingly enough, both questions have the same
answer, which is, they have built up scare tissue on their souls causing black
out of the soul which has lead them into rejection of all things that are of
Christ. Of the
believer it is noted in
Doctrine of Scar Tissue and Black Out of the Soul.
Scar tissue of the soul, also known as hardness of the heart, is the result of
prolonged residence and function inside Satan’s Cosmic System. The soul has
“lungs” for the breathing in and out of the Word of God, which is inhaled and
exhaled Bible Doctrine. The PNEUMA, God the Holy Spirit, breathes Bible
doctrine into your human spirit as you learn the Word;
2 Tim 3:16-17, “All Scripture is inspired by God (God-breathed) and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”
2. The soul has two “lungs”, here after; they will be called the left bank and the right bank. Each lung has five breathing apparatus that accompany the five parts of man’s soul; volition, mentality, self consciousness, conscience and emotions. The left bank is used for the inhale of Bible Doctrine. The right lobe is used for the exhale of EPIGNOSIS Doctrine. The Old Sin Nature is the distorter of the soul but is not in the soul. With Bible Doctrine the Old Sin Nature is frustrated, without Bible Doctrine the Old Sin Nature is satisfied; Rom 6:6; 7:7-18.
The left bank is designed for relationship with God, inhale;
4. Scar tissue is built up on the left bank of the soul by means of neglecting Bible Doctrine showing negative volition towards God’s Word. This automatically switches on the “MATAIOTES” (emptiness or vanity) vacuum into which KOSMOS evil (Satan’s system) and arrogant words of vanity flow; Eph .
5. Scar tissue is built up on the right bank of the soul (lungs) by:
a. Adultery; Pro , Eph 4:19.
b. Mental Attitude Sins: bitterness, pride, jealousy, hate, vindictiveness (revenge), implacability (hostile anger), guilty, worrying, etc; 1 John 2:9, 11.
c. Drunkenness and drugs cause scar
tissue. (There is nothing wrong with alcohol but there is something wrong with
6. Scar tissue is built up when you have emotional revolt of the soul. When your emotions revolt, any Bible doctrine stored in the heart of your soul shuts down and your emotions begin to run your soul instead of responding to the doctrine in your heart. Emotions contain no doctrine and do not have conscience. This is apostasy, if you have negative volition toward Bible Doctrine it is inevitable you will have emotional revolt of the soul and have misery. As a result you no longer inhale or exhale Bible Doctrine in either the left or right lobe.
7. Scar tissue can build up on the soul of the believer as well as the unbeliever. All that is necessary is the rejection of the Word of God either post-salvation for the believer or pre-salvation for the unbeliever towards the gospel of Jesus Christ; 2 Peter .
Blackout of the soul and scar tissue of the soul combine to reject all forms of truth. “Vomit” here includes: socialism, communism, the welfare state, redistribution of wealth, social equality, and being saved by anything except faith in Christ
2 Thes 2:10-12, “...and with all deception of maladjustment (rejection of Jesus Christ) for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, so as to be saved. And for this reason, God sends them a deluding influence (blackout of the soul, scar tissue of the soul), so that they might believe a lie, in order that they might all be condemned who do not believe the truth, but take pleasure in unrighteousness.”
8. Scar tissue can finally choke out the soul.
a. Believers: Ananias
and Sapphira (Sin Unto Death);
b. Unbelievers: Judas Iscariot; Mat 27:3-10, and the Pharaoh of
9. How is scar tissue removed?
a. For the unbeliever, at the point of
salvation all scar tissue is removed;
b. For believers:
1. Rebound (naming your sins
to God the Father-
2. A crash program on Doctrine,
3. Exhale of residual doctrine (EPIGNOSIS) from the Edification Complex of the Soul built upon your human spirit.
The Edification Complex of the Soul
1. The antithesis of scar tissue in the Christian life is the existence of an Edification Complex of the Soul. That is the building up of Bible Doctrine in your soul which has tremendous benefits to you in life.
2. The Edification Complex of the Soul is technical nomenclature found in the epistles of the New Testament for the attainment of spiritual maturity.
3. Synonyms for the Edification Complex of the Soul include:
“Christ formed in you”,
new self (man)”,
“Imitators of God,”
4. The consistent function of the
5. The mature believer possesses a completed Edification Complex in his soul.
6. Doctrine perceived must feed both the human spirit and the human soul for capacity for both human and eternal life. The Edification Complex of the Soul is the result.
7. The benefits of and ECS include:
a. It produces confidence in time;
b. It produces Divine viewpoint on life and establishes
right priorities in the soul of the believer;
c. It orients the believer to the Plan of God;
d. It produces stability of mind, as opposed to the
instability of the double-minded;
e. It is the basis for divine guidance and the
execution of the will of God;
f. It leads to Occupation with Christ and the capacity
and ability to love God and appreciate Him as the source of blessing when it
g. It attains eternal grace blessing;
Jn 16:3 is predicative of impending persecutions and the reasoning
for them. Those who will be persecuting true believers are of the arrogant,
self-righteous, legalistic, religious crowd, as Saul (a.k.a. Paul), was prior
to his conversion;
1. In John 16:3 GINOSKO refers to experiential knowledge, suggesting the knowledge of personal faith.
2. While the world may have a lot of knowledge about Christ, it does not have this personal experiential knowledge of Him because it does not have faith in Him.
5. Jn had the sense of a continued completed state, “I know”, versus, “I have come to know”, (through experience or event).
7. Therefore, these persecutors have neither objective nor experiential knowledge of God or Jesus Christ.
8. They are ignorant on two fronts, objectively and experientially.
1. Here, just as in
2. “They”, specifically refers to unbelieving religious Jews; the ones who would put believers out of synagogues and / or put them to death.
3. John’s Gospel speaks often of the relationship between obedient faith and knowing God. It was “His own,” the Jews, who are spoken of as “the world” that knew not Jesus because they “received Him not”.
Jesus explained to Nicodemus why those who did not believe on Him were
condemned. Their rejection of Him placed them under God’s condemnation,
They rejected Him because He was the Light; they loved darkness,
(self-righteous deeds), because the Light revealed the true evilness of their
Logically, all Jews should have recognized Jesus and believed on Him since they
knew the prophecies,
7. We see here the principle that it is not only intellectual knowledge that brings the knowledge of God. Knowing God is the result of faith, an attitude of humble obedience to His Word.
They were not necessarily ignorant or passively ignorant. They voluntarily,
actively, and freely chose to ignore
the righteousness of God,
9. In rejecting Jesus they proved that they did not “know” the God they spoke about with such zeal, either objectively or experientially.
10. Religion does not possess category #1 love, (Love for God).
11. If you do not know God you cannot love God. You have to know God to love God.
12. Religion is blinded toward God and totally without category #1 love. The religious type assumes that what pleases God is the elimination of grace, which is actually His plan for man’s salvation and the execution of the spiritual life.
13. Therefore, religion superimposes its own darkness, (self-righteous legalism), upon the Plan of God, which has led and will continue to lead them to persecute true grace believing Christians.