5 PURPOSES FOR COMMUNION
1. Restoration, 1 Cor 11:27-32 Gives us the opportunity to restore ourselves to fellowship with God by naming our sins privately to God therefore avoiding judgment.
Anaxios anaxios: do not partake in an unworthy manner
Dokimazo dokimazo: examine yourself
Krima krima: the judgment of God
2. Harmony, 1 Cor 11:17-22 The congregation should habitually, with single mindedness, assemble themselves together in the remembrance of our Lord and Savior Jesus Chirst.
Sunerchomai sunerchomai: to come together, assemble (Coming together as the gathering of a local church). We are to come together with one purpose, with one mind and with one attitude.
Phi 1:27-28, Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; 28in no way alarmed by your opponents which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God.
Acts 2:46-47, Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
Rom 15:5-6, Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 6so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Fellowship, 1 Cor 11:33 To come together as members of the Royal Family of God and share in the celebration of the Lords supper.
Ekdechomai ekdechomai: Wait for one another, for all to partake together as one body.
4. Remembrance, 1 Cor 11:24-25 Our remembrance is of the saving work that Christ efficaciously performed and completed, once and for all, on the cross.
Anamnesis anamnesis: a remembrance (noun accusative feminine singular) We the Bride of Christ should be affectionately calling to mind the person and work of Jesus Christ.
5. Thanksgiving, 1 Cor 11:24 - We are to be remembering with thankful hearts what Christ accomplished on the cross for us.
Eucharisteo eucharisteo: Word used for communion which means to give thanks
In the restoration of our minds.
Harmoniously as a local assembly.
Having fellowship in this celebration.
In remembrance of the Lord Jesus Christ.
With thankful hearts.
THE BREAD Remembrance of the person (Jesus Christ) during His incarnation, His impeccability, the physical pain and torture He endured and a description of eternal life.
No Leaven without sin
Did not cry out kenosis
Body of Christ Royal Family of God
THE WINE = Remembrance of the redemptive work Christ completed on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for our sins.
Shedding of Blood His spiritual death for our spiritual life
3rd Cup redeemed from the slave market of sin
Tetelestai completed with results continuing forever (doesnt need to be repeated)!